twolands

Sunday, July 23, 2006

...''a move to a basement flat in a suburb? surely not Joanna ..?!''

Hi y'all!
Just to let you know we will soon be on the move (again) as we hand over our lovely house in this very picturesque fishing village on 7th August. We are renting a tiiiiny flat in the RVK suburbs...all the elements I originally said 'no' to.. in a basement, in Kopavogur (sorry Suafnir, I know you love it there), with only 2 bedrooms and no garden (well, there is according to the landlady but she clearly is not a gardener!). However, it is available on 1st August, cycling distance to school and to work, there is a small play-area on our doorstep (literally), the sea at the bottom of the road, lots of places to walk to (including to one of our favourites spots, Perlan), lots of children, cats no problem and..the clinching factor really (apart from the lowest rental we'd seen)..T went to secondary school with the landlady, who lives upstairs:-).
So very clearly a very temporary move but I'm sure we will be fine (if a little cosy..although not as cosy as the current tenants who are moving out because baby number 5 is on its way ;-). We have struggled to find anywhere to rent because 80% of places won't accept pets. We did see a couple of very nice houses with all the space, garden etc but the areas were devoid of children and further out in the suburbs, which would have meant buying a second car etc etc.
And, if nothing else it will prompt us to make some decisions in 6 months as we won't be cosy in a big house with a nice garden etc. Also, I guess with winter not that far away (hey! school starts the winter term soon..in August!), it will be dark anyway and we will relish that cosiness!
We all remain positive...I'm trying to gather more info about this job I've been offerred..like an Assistant Practitioner role and clearly a stop-gap to get me out working again and get some more money coming in..many foreign nurses then go onto extra training at Uni to achieve their Bsc but not me..already got one (and the rest) and an insatiable appetite to challenge the system, which I am still trying to do. Now taking legal advice re my nurse reg and have been told the nursing board should be looking at where I fit in rather than where I don't. Suddenly all my years of saying what I think and upsetting all those managers in various nhs trusts doesn't seem such a major issue, when one can go straight to the top and do the same to a countrys' government!!!;-)
Anyway, off to enjoy our 5th day of sunshine and rest my muscles after swimming and mowing the grass (think...Lords cricket ground for a picture of the size of our lawn)...and hey! at least I won't have to mow the lawn for 6 months (hadn't thought of that one..promise someone will remind me of it when I'm bemoaning the fact we are falling over ourselves in our bijou liitle pad?!).
Hope all good in the hot and sweaty parts of the world...keep in touch y'all..
Love from 3 Anglo-Saxons and a Viking in the land of fire, ice and a bit of sunshine! xxxx

2 Comments:

  • Joanna,
    Rockstar:Supernoa is on tomorrow, who do you think will go;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 am  

  • Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home