twolands

Saturday, April 21, 2007

''...a colleague sorely missed...''

...a little over a week ago we all returned from a positive and fulfilling trip from our other 'home' in Iceland...positive and fulfilling for J and I, fun for EBB but not so good for T. He enjoyed seeing family but our trip reaffirmed his desire not to return to live in Iceland. Now I always wanted to do that at some point but T finds that the Icelandic lack of manners and poor attitude towards ones fellow man is an unpleasant and unwelcoming experience for those going to live or visit such a calming and beautiful country. Now don't get me wrong, this does not apply to our own family and friends but was certainly one of the issues J had to struggle with whilst at school in Iceland.I find it difficult to cope with the lack of censorship...Iceland only legalised alcohol some 15 or so years ago but it is happy to advert products using inappropriate gestures or words.And not just after the 9pm watershed!
So upon reflection a trip filled with positivity and reflection...but one which only strengthened my resolve to take the boys over again in the future..paradoxically by the end of our trip T could see why I keep talking about taking a career break in a few years and moving over for 6 months or so..I feel it would be good for both boys, good for family and good for intercultural cooperation
;-). I would like to make it a year-long trip but J and I decided if T was not able to come with us 6 months would be good. Yes, J is very much up for this and I think this is indicative of the positive experience he had this visit...thankfully not marred by the very drunken football fans we had to contend with on the flight home..I tell you, it gave T some early hooligan-management experience !!!
As you see, T is now only awaiting for the dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's and he has been given a provisional start date for his police training :-). We are not celebrating just yet..not until his formal letter (and uniform, girls ;-o) arrives so keep watching this space!
Which brings me onto the less joyous title of todays blog...upon my return from our trip, I had to receive some extremely distressing news...my colleague D had not turned up for work one shift and the following day he committed suicide. Now I had only worked with him for a short while but I had the utmost respect for his professional and personable qualities and for the support he was giving me (and others) in a difficult and stressful role. My manager A had worked with him for many years and had to inform each member of staff on an individual basis over the course of a week or so. We attended his funeral on Thursday. His daughter shared a note her father had left for her...'suicide is not a choice...but the only path available when pain overcomes joy'. This week it is depression awareness week. Please take time out to reflect upon this illness that is still so hidden but which affects so many of us.
Rest in Peace our much respected and sorely missed colleague.
Love and peace to you all
J,T,J and E xxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home