twolands

Thursday, June 14, 2007

"...My Amma Sigga..."

I am the oldest grandchild of amma Sigga. I have lasting memories of going to visit her as a child. I would run into the kitchen where she would pick me up and call me ‘her little lamb’. I would hide behind the sofa in the front room when it was time to go home because I didn’t want to leave. Amma Sigga would never wake me up when I spent the night at her house and I could stay in bed as long as I liked.

Amma Sigga let her grandchildren play in the kitchen where we would make a mess of the flour and eggs. Afterwards amma would get the hoover out and hoover the flour off our clothes. Amma Sigga made the best pancakes. For many years I went swimming with my dad and my granddad every Saturday and afterwards we would go to amma Siggas where we had a hot dog party.

As a budding musician of 13 amma Sigga let me and my friends rehearse in her basement. There would always be milk and Danish pastry for the whole band when we were tired of trying to find songs with no F chord in it (I couldn’t play the F chord because my fingers weren’t long enough).

In later teenage life me and amma went through a phase of watching films together (mostly Woody Allen films). I would go and rent them from the video shop and then we would make popcorn. I would make her coffee and she always said I made the best coffee. I was always welcome at amma Siggas house, whatever state I was in.

I had the pleasure of bringing amma Sigga her first two great-grandchildren, whom she adored. Amma also got on great with Joanna. Similar personalities in many ways. Tough ladies who know what they want and there’s no way of convincing them otherwise. Amma Sigga has smoked filter free Camel cigarettes as far back as I can remember. About 10 years ago she was in hospital for some reason or another. At some point she simply left, IV in tow. She had left the hospital and walked home. Her children found her sat in the garden. ‘I wanted a cigarette!’ was all she said. That’s amma Sigga in a nutshell.

Yesterday morning, the 13th June, my amma Sigga died in her sleep. I will forever miss her and her endless and unconditional love. Her love of knowledge and her love of music especially is something I’ll never forget. Amma Sigga will always be my amma Sigga.

RIP, I don’t think I ever said it, because we didn’t need to, but I’ll say it now.

I love you amma Sigga, we all do …
Toti

1 Comments:

  • ...as always, my dear Toti, your eloquence speaks volumes. I will always be grateful for the way Amma S took me in and made me feel welcome. I hope I repayed some of her faith in me by giving her 2 wonderful great-grandchildren to adore.Rest in peace strong, vibrant, feisty, independent lady (takes one to know one). :-)

    By Blogger J, T, J&E, at 8:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home